Pages

May 24, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Random Riggs

Book Description:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


Do you ever read a book that you've wanted to read for a really - really - long time, and then when you finally read it you're completely under whelmed?

This book was like that for me.

It started off really excellent. I enjoyed the back story and the characters. I really liked the photographs that were included - they really added to the story, and I loved that they were real vintage photos. I liked right up until the action started.

The adventure/perilous part - all the running around in the rain and then the thing at the lighthouse - I just found myself more than a little bored. It should have been very exciting - exciting things were certainly happening! - but it wasn’t. This went from being a book I hardly put down for two days to one that I had to force myself to pick up.

When it ended, I thought, Is that it? Really? It just kind of...ended. I know it was supposed to leave me wanting more. I guess I did, but not in a good way.

On a scale from Totally Awesome to Horrifically Awful, I'd give it a Meh. I was truly excited to read it, and was pretty disappointed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment