Pages

Jun 21, 2012

My New Favorite Thing and A Way to be Awesome

I have recently been spending way too much time on youtube watching Vlogbrothers videos. I justify this by reminding myself that I'm not only being entertained, but I'm learning something at the same time.

So who are Vlogbrothers?



Hey look, more videos!






...I want an inflatable, helium filled fort now.

And now, for a way to be awesome.

Giving to charity not only helps people, it makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Kiva is an interesting one. It's a Microfinance site wherein you give a small amount to a borrower who would otherwise not have access to a loan, and then they pay you (and the other people who gave them small amounts of money) back. Look, this video will explain it better.


I've known about Kiva for awhile, but never actually contributed because...well, I don't exactly have a reason. While there is some risk of not getting your money back, Kiva has a 98.97% repayment rate (to date). Those are pretty good odds. And although I don't have a lot of money, I can afford $25. But facts are facts, and I've never tried it.

HOWEVER, because of my new obsession with Vlogbrothers, I was able to try Kiva out for free. How excellent is that? What's even more excellent is that I can pass the awesome on: Sign up for Kiva using this link, and you too can give $25 to someone in need at no cost to you. Maybe this will inspire us to all give a little bit of our own money too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment